6 Reasons To Get a New Web Design in 2016 and 1 Reason Not To
The New Year is here and you may be considering whether or not you should get a new web design in 2016. Should you? Will it help your business?
Here’s some thoughts that can help you weigh your options and choose the best course of action for you and your business.
1 Reason You SHOULDN’T Get a New Website Design
It’s delivering new leads, so I’m OK
If your website is meeting your company’s needs, then 2016 is probably not the year to get a new website.
6 Reasons You SHOULD Get a New Website Design
1. Your website isn’t meeting your business objectives
Before you get all excited about designing a whole new website make sure you understand how your existing website is meeting (or not meeting) your existing business objectives.
A famous American designer, Charles Eames said, “Design is a plan for arranging elements in such a way as best to accomplish a particular purpose.” Make sure you understand what you want your website to accomplish. Here are some questions that may help you.
- Is your existing website attracting new visitors?
- Why do you think a new website design will get more?
- Are visitors easily engaged on your website?
- Do you have a process for converting prospects through lead nurturing and remarketing?
- Are you measuring the effectiveness of your existing website?
- Does your existing website help your clients through each step of their buying process?
2. The website’s look doesn’t properly reflect your brand
Your website can be one of the most visible things people see about your company. If you’ve got a new company look or logo, then it’s time to get a new website design.
3. Your website isn’t mobile friendly
People expect your website to function on their mobile phones and tablets. And Google expect the same. In fact, they test it. If you aren’t sure if your website is mobile friendly, take Google’s mobile friendly test. If you fail the test, you can expect very low rankings from Google.
4. We get a lot of traffic from mobile phones
Mobile traffic is growing every year. According to the CMO Council, “60% of all Internet activity in the US originates from mobile devices and about half of total Internet Traffic flows through mobile apps.”
If you are getting lots of traffic from mobile phones, it probably makes sense to have a mobile dedicated site.
A dedicated mobile site usually has the following characteristics:
- The design is specifically for mobile, so it’s easier and faster to navigate
- The graphics and imagery are optimized (smaller) for mobile, so the load times are faster
- The text and graphics are designed to be viewed and read on mobile, so it’s more engaging and more likely to be used
- The design makes it easier to take action, so mobile users even more likely to take action to convert (call, buy, etc.)
5. Your clients buying habits are changing
How people shop and how they make purchases are changing. Many people are purchasing online, but even more are influenced by what’s online. According to YouGov, 77% of us are reading online reviews before making a purchase.
Individuals are influenced by many different sources online, including: your website, online experts, reviews, and social media. You must engage with your target markets where and how they want to engage with you.
6. Your existing website hasn’t been maintained
When websites have gone for a long time without maintenance, things can start to change and break down. Features don’t work. Things don’t look quite right. It works on some browsers better than others.
What can be even more important is that a website that hasn’t been maintained can be open to malicious attacks, to take down your website or to use it to spam others. It doesn’t matter the size of your company or your website. Any website can be the target of a hacker.
Deciding on a new website should be closely aligned with your business goals. If you are going to design a new website, make sure:
- You know your objectives
- Develop a plan to help you achieve success
A firm that understands web design and online marketing can help you create your plan for success and provide you the consulting services to make it happen. Please contact The Story Web Design & Marketing for a free initial consultation.